NCIFT MEETING MINUTES
Meeting Minutes August 11, 2017
Meeting was brought to order at 1:16PM at the SPI Building in San Leandro.
- Jaspreet/Brad- Budget management for Central Valley Section. Develop a delineated account for scholarships and Central Valley events. Need two sub accounts. ->Needs to be completed before June 2018.
- Develop a strategic plan for our section. We have a short fall every year however within the next five years we might run out of money and we need to develop a plan to maintain our budget.
- Social Media Chair->Brad set it up and transferred it to Elle, -> Abigail to cover social media LinkedIn/Facebook/ until the position is filled.
- Erin to-> Follow up with Charlwit and reconnect on his grant/award/scholarship role to connect us more to Davis.
- Carol -> Have a meeting with Linda and see how we can act as a resource Continue to develop a relationship with them. Possibly have a professor to represent and connect Lauren Shimek to connect with students. -> Immediate past president and college relations chair, young professionals to visit once/year to drive and visit the students.
- Scholarship Committee-> Student Award Banquet- Have a representative to share information about our program and give certificates out. (Request a table at the entry hall to have a presence).
- Carol-> Include a bullet point summary of new membership fees in Hornblower.
- Brad-> confirm Carol has access to membership list
- Save historical Hornblower issues electronically
- Imelda Marketing Designs-> Advertise on the website for historian and social media with job descriptions, contact -> Brad to facilitate
- September 19 welcome event, Handles Brewery-> Topic FSMA: A pragmatic approach estimated attendance 70 people. -> Head count needs to be given 1 week in advance to restaurant. Imelda take sign ups and payments. Possibly Use Event Bright connect with Imelda to relay information.
- Russ-> reach out to Ed Silva AACT, Possible event connection possibly help sponsor a speaker.
- Jaspreet->review distribution of savings vs checking to maximize our accounts.
- Brad/Craig->Craig- reach out to Mike McCarthy, Brad Send something out for the following idea: National IFT Mixer- Possible split ownership event- NCIFT Networking event. Washington/San Joaquin/Southern CA/Oregon #WestCoastBestCoast Mixer -> Connect with other chapters and Cindy for support.
- Jaspreet- Treasurer- Need separate account for Cruess Fund Expense
- Marketing and design->Hornblower->potentially move to an online publication. (Check hyperlinks on website). Figure out cost for digital only production. If you want a print copy could be an added cost to your membership dues.
- Send a survey to companies who advertise we are focusing on our environmental impact and want better distribution to our members. Transitional -digital/paper for one year and if successful send out a survey to determine which format would be more useful.
- Craig-> contact Legal Zoom to get estimated costs for a transition from a 501c6 to a 501c3
- Education Committee -> Have suppliers give presentations in a general and showcase new companies. (ex: Chirps Chips- cricket chips, FSMA sanitation process)- Possible monthly event.
- Brad-> Transition to Event Bright connect with Imelda on managing it.
This year lets follow up on our goals and actions.
- Craig-President- Elite Spice
- Brad Olson- President Elect->President- Albertsons
- Russ Nishikawa- Membership Chair-SPI
- Erin Evers -> New Membership Chair/Young Professionals Chair-SPI Group
- Anjali Ganpule- New Director at Large- Torani
- Carol Cooper- Editor Hornblower- Retired from UC Davis
- Abigail Selya- new Secretary – Mattson
- Brian Chau- New Director at Large- Chau time podcast/grad student
- Bianca Wiens- Member at Large- Gallo
Craig-Only a few people do a lot of the work, want to have all of us involved in recruiting new members and support. We obtained a section of excellence for a second year in a row.
New Membership Offerings
No changes on how sections are selected. Whenever you started your membership you will see the changes.
Craig/Russ/Brad/Erin- If you are aware of anyone in a company who just started out who wants to get involved and have a lot of potential. Scholarship/Subsidized options might be possible. Possibly waive their section dues. Need a full application process. Could discuss it at new professional meetings.
*Put an explanation section in the Hornblower and on the website. -> Action Item listed above
Craig- Someone in Ohio charged the NCIFT visa card 350$ canceled it and it was replaced. Emails throughout the chapters requesting money wiring $4000. Craig sent bank account and routing number and Craig reported it to the police.
- Brad-Supplier’s Night Recap- Net Revenue $23,873.84 prime contributor to our budget. Next year May 7 Golf, May 8 Supplier’s night.
*Need more advertising and announcements for all our events
- Sign in sheet-Add a member yes/no column for attendance. Bring a non-member to encourage new membership.
- Erin-New Professionals Event Lauren Shimek August 23, 2017 leading food innovation sold out in a day. Facility size restriction will try to schedule another event.
- Carol/Erin IFT- Volunteers has changed the way they signed up. Carol suggests that the other sections get a chance to host so we can rotate through the sections. Only rotates through a few locations LA/Vegas/Chicago/New Orleans/Atlanta/Dallas.
- September 19 welcome event, Handles Brewery-> Topic FSMA: A pragmatic approach estimated attendance 70 people. -> Head count needs to be given 1 week in advance to restaurant. Imelda take sign ups and payments
- October Bring a friend night-> new membership model and recruitment (possible incentive for bringing a non-member)-> Central Valley event Gallo/Almond Board partnership at the Double Tree. (Almond companies could donate some of their flavors to try)
- December 7, 2017 Holiday Dinner-> Topic The science of food what will the next 75 years look like. Wente Vineyards $75 -$85/person try to break even if you sign up you pay. Get a good headcount should use Event Bright. Food Tech Club- Sell Raffle tickets. Silent auction possibility Chef volunteer to do a dinner for 2 or 4 chef comes to your house for a silent auction. Ticket Price: $65-75 for members early registration discount by Nov. 20th (5-10$ off) $85 non-members table sponsorship. Space is limited to 125 people at the door cash only at cost. Offer sponsor recognition and reserved tables. Table is not tax deductible. Pre-registration needs to be completed one month in advance.
- 1/22/18 Fancy food show- RCA/NCIFT Gathering
- 2/21/17 CLFP Luncheon Speaker-TBD
- 3/1/18 Student award banquet – UCD
- 3-4/xx/18 NCIFT Member Social- Fairfield Industry Event
- 6/xx/18- American Association of Candy Technologists. Possible event. ->Action item above.
- 5/7-8/18 NCIFT Suppliers Night 5/8 and Golf Event 5/7
- 7/15-18/18- NCIFT Section Gathering
- National IFT Mixer- Possible split ownership event- NCIFT Networking event. Southern CA/Oregon #WestCoastBestCoast Mixer -> Connect with other chapters and Cindy for support.
Executive Committee Meetings
- 10/xx/17 -Invitation to follow
- 12/7/17-Holiday meeting before holiday dinner
- 2/21/18 -CLFP After Luncheon in neighboring hotel
- 4/xx/18- invitation to follow
- 7/x/18 -Meeting at IFT
- 8/xx/18- Planning meeting
- December Event IFT President Cindy is visiting –provide wine/snacks/recap of agenda/goals/feedback/opportunity to have her support/NCIFT Cactus networking event.
Central Valley IFT
- Craig/Brad-NCIFT absorbed Central Valley temporarily for this year to help assist their chapter and hope they can reform their chapter. NCIFT is here to help.
- Erin- What is the budget of the Central Valley and how can we control our expenses for Central Valley events. We need separate sub-sets-> Nominating committee needs to inform them of their membership responsibilities. -> Action Item Listed Above
- Russ- There should always be a member at large from Central Valley to represent and have a small committee propose and budget from their money.
- Russ/Bianca/Brad- CVIFT should think of ways to generate their own revenue- (Membership dues from some zip codes). Every year have an account set up and put it on our budget as a budget item.
- Have CVIFT to have their own treasurer/supporting treasurer to help recreate a section. Helps simplify and develop structural organization.
New Procedures Manual
Brad- Section leader’s resources page. Posted last year good resources.
- Roles and responsibilities- governing body of the section, IFT Goals etc. (see online resource)
- Mission Goals and Bylaws of our section- Review Online
- Prepare for board meetings and review the agenda
- Executive Committee- chair, chair elect, president, president elect, immediate past president, executive secretary.
- New Position Descriptions-> (see online resource)
- We have a lot of positions that are open for appointment-> Audit Committee, Finance Committee, Social Media Chair, Science fair coordinator, college relations chair, awards committee chair, historian, Hornblower editor, young professional’s director, membership secretary, scholarship, nominating committee member. -> ask UC Davis students connected to NCIFT try to connect more people to our organization. Work with Nicole and a representative on our board to connect
- Directors at large support supplier’s night and section membership events.
- Erin invited to the Food Tech Club Meeting-> Working with Charlwit and Melissa it’s important to be related to the students have multiple connections to grad/undergrad/V&E/Brewing so many different people involved it is difficult connect with everyone.
- College Relation Chair- need to have people in all the colleges to represent however, UC Davis is the only IFT program. See if we can develop a stronger presence.
- Brad/Erin/-Attend IFT- Group discounts possibilities so more employees can be involved. Corporate membership possibilities.
- Erin-Officers need their membership status to ensure we have vested leadership. Notified committee.
- Brad- At CLFP last year we had someone in Fairfield who can connect everyone to IFT. Attract people from Vacaville, Sacramento,
- Nikoo Arasteh -Assign champions to each of the locations for follow up on geographically diverse events.
- Craig- Love to see a mainstream networking event spread out geographically to attract new members. Sacramento, Santa Rosa. Quarterly meeting to attract new members. Raley’s, Blue Diamond etc.
- Nikoo- Get more industry representatives involved.
Goals- Education Webinar
- Craig- Would love to see a monthly educational series that would be beneficial for all of us and it would help attract new members and company sponsorships. Both member and IFT webinars. 3-4 people on an educational committee. UC Davis can play a big role and provide education/instruction.
- Offering webcast 4-6 times a year where the NCIFT ambassador would put something on the bulletin board announcing a webinar or FSMA training etc. Offering a once a month speaker or program.
- Craig-wants to continue to be involved and possibly lead this section.
- Russ- Would it be IFT driven? – Make it a reoccurring webinar on the same day.
- We provide access and connections. Skills that technical sales people have.
- FY2017 Profit/Loss
- Detailed information provided in meeting and by request.
- Total income 131,298.43 Total Expense 145,092.04 =Net Income -13,793
- Need separate account for Cruess Fund Expense ->Action item listed above
- FY2018 Budget Planning
- Checking: $26,361.40 and Savings: $69,610.69
- Need $5000 for new professionals 10 events this year 40-60 people (Great job Erin!)
- Jaspreet-review distribution of savings vs checking to maximize our accounts. -> Action item listed above
- EventBright Membership
- Help ensure cost of events are covered
- Brad Raised it-> Abigail Motioned-> Nikoo Seconded-> Voting Followed up in email by End of September.
- Nikoo-Event Chair and would need to maintain it.
- Need to train Imelda and she would be appointed to managing it.
- Hornblower (digital vs. print)
- Hornblower- potentially move to an online publication. (Check hyperlinks on website). Print copy added cost to your membership dues. Send a survey to companies who advertise we are focusing on our environmental impact and want better distribution. ->Action Item listed above
- 501c3 vs C6
- Most sections 501c6- industry improvement
- 501c3 education and research
- Fees to convert $7,000-$10,000+
- Have Legal zoom convert us to $595 + filing fees. ->action item listed above.
- Follow our mission statement for guidance on what we want to support.
Meeting adjourned at 5:15 PM
Next meeting-> October Invite to Follow.