Here's what all the hype is about Premier Nutrition Company, LLC (PNC) is a clear leader the convenient nutrition category and makes great-tasting food products under the brand names Premier Protein, Dymatize, and PowerBar, and is part of publicly-traded BellRing Brands (NYSE:BRBR). With its people-first culture, PNC empowers its people to create the best work of their lives alongside some truly astounding colleagues.
PNC treats its people like adults with respect and trust. One of our five core values is to Connect & Belong because we bring our diverse backgrounds, life experiences, and ways of thinking to each challenge grounded in our belief that everyone should have a seat at the table and be listened to deeply. Whever makes you, you - you belong here.
We strive to avoid many of the outdated processes of conventional workplaces. We don't have performance reviews we have quarterly conversations. We don't have management we have inspiring leaders to coach and mentor. We don't have a casual dress code we simply don't have a dress code; wear what you like. And we have a lot of fun.
Bringing dogs to work, company-wide give-days days, philanthropy and sustainability programs, in-office massages, walking meetings, and free daily exercise classes on-site and at the adjacent gym are just a few ways we make work feel less like work. And the results of our great culture speak for itself: we were certified as a Great Place to Work™ for the fifth year-running in 2021 and ranked in the top 12 on Fortune Magazine’s Best Workplaces in our category for 2019, 2020, and 2021.
So, what's it like to work here? If you're local, you'll walk into our Emeryville office each Monday morning and find 100 of your colleagues sitting on sofas, beanbag chairs, or the floor excitedly talking through the week ahead and watching one of their colleagues tell their personal life and career journey. Picture a casual and collaborative environment of a start-up, the innovative mindset of a tech company, and the stability of a company with projected revenue this year of over $1.15 billion, and you'll find us in the sweet spot where world-class culture meets robust business results.
PNC seeks individuals who will thrive in this work environment and will help us build our culture and this high-growth company for the next phase in our amazing journey. Does this sound like you? Then read on.Responsibilities
This is a technical expert R&D position; this position will coordinate all aspects R&D pilot line operation to support product development for assigned projects. This position will demonstrate joint accountability (with R&D product development managers) for project success by assembling, evaluating, maintaining, and optimization of prototypes and pilot runs and capturing relevant formulation, such as sequence addition of ingredients and processing parameters. This position schedules requested activities with proper equipment allocation for the R&D pilot plant facility. Prototype and bench samples production/storage/shipping, raw ingredients/ bench samples inventory management and documentation management will be in scope for this position. This position works with limited supervision. Staying up-to-date on latest ingredient technology and attending co-man bench and plant trials to ensure successful commercialization of products is in scope for this position.
THIS ROLE REQUIRES THE INCUMBENT TO BE ON-SITE 5 DAYS PER WEEK.
You’re excited about this opportunity because your time will be filled with…
Pilot Line Operations: 80% of Time
- Coordination of Test Kitchen/pilot line activities to support various product development projects/initiatives: from ordering materials to production/packaging/labeling of prototypes while ensuring all validations, documentation and requirements are met (safety, food safety plan, master sanitation). Share learnings and capture ideas to improve product and/or processes
- Set up, calibrate operate, clean/sanitize, troubleshoot and coordinate maintenance of all test kitchen/pilot plant equipment and areas
- Create/update SOPS and execute checks and checklists for safety, food safety, master sanitation and 5 S schedule for test kitchen/pilot plant area
- Establish and maintain inventory management system for all pilot line equipment, parts and supplies and cultivate good working relationships with suppliers
- Execute food safety plan for pilot plant operation
- Execute master sanitation schedule for pilot plant facility
- Maintain housekeeping and organization of pilot line areas
R&D Documentation: 10% of Time
- Lab and/or pilot line documentation: SOPs, ingredient/sample records, inventory records, formulation and processing notes, cleaning records
R&D Department Support: 10% of Time
- Train other R&D team members to operate and clean pilot plant equipment
- Provide insight/recommendations into continuous improvement of operations (Safety, schedules, sequence, staging, processing parameters for equipment)
- Stay up to date with latest pilot plant equipment through vendor contacts etc.
What are we looking for?
- BS in Food Science, Food Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or similar disciplines
- 2+ years’ experience in Food industry, with significant hands-on experience in bench top/pilot line sample production
- Experience working collaborative in team environment is required
- Demonstrated bench top/product development skills with successful record keeping and adhering to deadlines
- Ability to excel in dynamic fast paced business environment, demonstrated ability to self-motivate and manage multiple priorities/requests
- Demonstrated ability to work effective in team environment through excellent interpersonal, influencing and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Ability to travel to various sites as assigned
So, if after reading through this long list you’re thinking—I’m not sure I meet 100% of these requirements, should I still apply? YES—if you embody a growth mindset, see challenges as opportunities to develop, and find innovative ways to get the real work that matters done, you sound like our kind of candidate!
Select 5 Key Capabilities & Traits Important to Add to and Diversify your Current Team:
- Emotional intelligence
- Being all-in
- Embody a strategic mindset
- Bring people along
You will thrive here and may just do the best work of your life if…
- You want to be an integral part of shaping and nurturing an amazing work culture
- You like trying out novel minimum viable product people-related ideas
- You can be flexible in your approach to people challenges and abandon past practices if they don’t make sense or would lead to a poor outcome
- You enjoy making people-centric decisions and finding ways to say ‘yes’ as often as possible to impactful and important priorities for the business or team
- You are comfortable being natural, casual, open, and even a bit playful at work
- You can be friendly, vulnerable, and self-deprecating in one moment, and deal with a challenging, delicate people-related matter as a professional in the next
- You can do periods of focused, deep work on projects that drive the needle
This may not be your ideal next career move if…
- You like a lot of structure, rules, and uniformity
- You like order, hierarchy, command and control management
- You want to build lots of processes, systems, governance, or policies
- Dealing with ambiguity or experimentation are not your jam
- You try to resolve challenging interpersonal situations over email or instant messaging
- You like managing from behind your computer and demonstrating excellence through email
- You tend to chase whatever shiny object presents itself during the day even if non-strategic
If we haven’t convinced you to apply already, here are some of our favorite perks and benefits:
- Friday afternoons off (and of course a hefty PTO package plus 11 holidays)
- 401K match. Literally free money
- Hybrid work with an average of 3 days a week in the office for local folks
- All jobs are bonus-eligible
- Free custom lunch twice a week. Plus plenty of snacks and shakes.
- 2 weeks of work from anywhere time to move your Big Rocks
- Quarterly team building events/happy hours (city-wide scavenger hunt, bowling, ropes course, putt-putt)
- Bring your dog to work (3 days/week)
- Extended paid parental leave regardless of gender or familial make-up
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
We strive to create an equitable and inclusive environment to contribute to the success of our organization. Premier Nutrition provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, status as a covered veteran and any other category protected under applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws.