Hilmar Cheese Company
Click here for more info and to apply.
At Hilmar Cheese Company we improve lives around the world through wholesome dairy products. Since our founding in 1984, Hilmar Cheese Company has been committed to innovation and sustainability. Our state-of-the art production facilities convert an abundance of locally sourced high-quality milk into a variety of nutritious cheeses, whey protein and lactose. The Cheese and Ingredients that we produce create a wide variety of retail and food service products from sliced and shredded cheeses, to protein supplements and infant formula. We are a trusted partner to premier food and beverage brands in for than fifty countries helping bring their vision into reality.
Throughout our decades of success and growth we have remained committed to our mission and values and these principles unite our people and guide all that we do.
The Associate Application Scientist will work on projects that develop the commercial and applied understanding of new products and improvements in current ones. They are able to conduct and formulate experiments at bench, pilot plant, and commercial scale to develop knowledge and data needed to understand cheese and ingredients products and processes. They evaluate new technologies and scientific methods, and provide internal company wide support for Hilmar Cheese products. Evaluate competitor products and use this a tool to drive product improvements that increase the profitability of products manufactured and sold by Hilmar. In addition, they support technical training to internal and external customers through communication and demonstration of research data, results and conclusions.
- Works cross functionally across the business to deliver an industry leading product and process. Operating as a technical resource, partners with other peers in the company to help drive the business forward in its quest to wow the customer and deliver operational excellence.
- Works on application project requests relating to applications of dairy protein, cheese and lactose ingredients in nutritional products and functional foods and similar market segments including definition of objectives, conducting research, documentation and communication of results and conclusions.
- Conduct testing and analysis of current and newly developed products to determine functional, nutritional and/or organoleptic properties and performance in finished applications.
- Provide support to management, sales, and other departments relating the use and performance in finished applications and investigations into customer issues.
- Develop an understanding of commercial, trade and regulatory issues pertaining to the marketing and use of food ingredients in regions where Hilmar products are sold and used.
- Formulation and preparation and of products for use in demonstrations and assistance at tradeshows, distributor and customer locations.
- Maintain knowledge and network on about current developments in research of food ingredients and applied sciences.
- Manage and maintain documentation including R&D project reports, sales requests, product formulations, and SOPs.
- Support characterization studies of competitor products and of consumer products that offer opportunities to increase demand for Hilmar ingredients.
- Improve technical knowledge of the functionality of cheese and whey products. Apply and communicate this knowledge to the benefit of HCC and its customers.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1 years’ of related experience
- Knowledge of research principles and ability to perform experiments requiring precise control of process variables and execution of complicated method.
- Good knowledge of chemistry, specifically in the field of dairy chemistry and protein chemistry and ability to apply the knowledge to process trouble-shooting and product development.
- Good knowledge of experimental design, methods of data analysis, and basic statistics and ability to apply the analytical skills in trouble-shooting and product development.
- Ability to effectively use common lab and pilot plant instruments/equipment.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work with multiple projects and deadlines.
- Strong communication skills including presentation of scientific materials.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 years’ of related experience or Master’s degree
- Demonstrate hands-on dairy product development experience from its inception to scale-up and commercialization.
- Possess knowledge and experience within the categories of dairy products, F&B categories, and nutritional/ functional food products.
- Knowledge of dairy manufacturing processes
- Background with process improvement programs and procedures.
- SAP, JMP, and Historian experience.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The role has periods of time when the work environment is sedentary and conducted in an office environment balanced with frequent occasions that require prolonged walking or standing, lifting/ carrying/handling moderate weight objects on a regular basis. Is required to wear PPE and have a regular presence in manufacturing and warehouse environments in both temperature controlled and uncontrolled locations. Must frequently interact with people verbally. Specific details of the essential functions of the position is available in the Job Safety Analysis, made available on request.
Click here for more info and to apply.
Food safety is a companywide responsibility and each employee must know their role in the manufacture and distribution of safe, wholesome, and high quality products.
This description is a general statement and does not include other duties as assigned
Hilmar Cheese Company, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer/EEO. We participate in E-Verify.